Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and for many, they will be celebrating over the weekend due to the mid-week hustle and bustle. One of the most romantic ways to show your love and affection is with a beautifully cooked breakfast in bed. Explore a few of our favorite recipes for breakfast in bed to treat your sweetie on Valentine’s Day.
French Toast With Strawberry and Cream Filling
1 loaf Texas toast
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup strawberry jam
2/3 cups sliced strawberries
1/2 t lemon zest
1 cup milk
2 t vanilla
2 T brown sugar
5 T butter, for pan
- In a small bowl, beat together cream cheese, jam, and lemon zest. Fold in fresh strawberries.
- Spoon mixture on piece of bread and top with another piece of bread.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together milk, eggs, vanilla and brown sugar.
- Heat skillet on medium-low heat and add 1 Tablespoon of butter per French toast.
- Dip each piece of French toast into custard batter. Let each side soak for about 10 seconds. Add the soaked slices to the sizzling butter in the skillet.
- Cook 4 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
Custard and Berry Parfaits
4 egg yolks
3 T sugar
½ cup dry Marsala wine
1 cup heavy cream
- In a large, heatproof bowl, whisk together 4 egg yolks, 3 tablespoons sugar and 1/2 cup dry Marsala wine. Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water and whisk continuously until hot and thick, about 8 minutes (do not boil the custard).
- Remove from the heat and immediately set the bowl into a larger bowl of ice water; whisk the custard for 2 minutes, then refrigerate until cold, about 30 minutes.
- In a chilled bowl, whisk 1 cup heavy cream with 1 1/2 Tablespoons sugar until stiff.
- Using a whisk, fold half of the cooled custard into the whipped cream, and then fold in the rest.
- Layer in parfait cups with fresh berries.
7 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
3 cups orange juice
4 cups Champagne, chilled
Garnish with sliced strawberries and orange slices
- Place half of the strawberries and orange juice in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Press through a fine mesh strainer. Repeat with remaining strawberries and orange juice.
- Pour 2/3 cup strawberry mixture into each Champagne flute or wine glass.
- Top with about 1/3 cup Champagne and garnish with a strawberry and an orange slice.